PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 12:21
madherb
Feasant Plucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all posters

Can someone please provide a synopsis of the actual chain of events? (the last 1800-odd posts have touched on so many points, I've lost track of the basics)

As I understand things so far:
  • the aircraft landed normally (speed, touchdown point) with one reverser inop.
  • The engine with the inop. reverser never spooled down, but continued to provide substantial thrust.
  • The ground spoilers did not deploy.
  • The autobrake system did not operate.
  • The pilots attempted to stop the aircraft using the operative reverser and manual braking.
  • The runway was wet, and while it had recently been resurfaced, it had not been grooved.
I've been sidetracked by all sorts of technical information concerning the aircraft systems, not to mention the sideshows about Airbus vs Boeing.

This is all very interesting; however the consensus seems to be that the aircraft could have been stopped within the distance available, had some sort of failure/error not occurred which prevented:
  • The engine with the inop. reverser from spooling down.
  • The ground spoilers from deploying.
  • The autobrake from operating.
Is the argument or hypothesis now centering around possible mechanical/electrical system fault, or human performance? Or both?

Thanks to all those who have provided the wealth of technical stuff - plus the human performance input. Hope something positive can be gleaned from this.