PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 12:52
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit more about computer logic, if I may.
If we allow computers to make such an important decision (I WON'T GIVE YOU GS NOR A/B IF YOU DON'T MOVE BOTH TLs TO IDLE), we need to teach computers also how to put "hands on" and really correct our (pilots) mistakes.
The computer on-board TAM's A-320 went in to a "stubborn mode" (DON'T MATTER WHAT YOU DO, I WON'T GIVE YOU GS).

IMO, on-board computers are crossing a very dangerous line. They "evolved" from a "friend" that warns pilots, to a proudly "I got it" mode.

Yes, I know. Computers tried for decades to find efficient ways to warn us (pilots) that we forgot to put down the landing gear, for example . Beeps, horns, nice female voices, and we still landed with the gear up. One computer I knew even tried to cover the airspeed indicator with a red flag, stating CHECK GEAR!!. And we landed gear up complaining we couldn't see our airspeed...
Yes, I know it's not easy to fly with us. We do a lot of mistakes, but with proper training we are able to learn how to avoid most of them.
But, IF computers need to take over the controls in order to "prevent" us from doing mistakes, then computers need "proper training" also.

I remember of some incidents (and one fatal accident) where a crew conflict happened, one wanted to stop, the other wanted to go around.

Resuming, I believe that is quite obvious a conflict happened inside the cockpit. Not between the two pilots, but between the PF and the CF (computer flying)...
How to prevent this "conflict" from happening again?
Simply by only giving the controls to computers when we want to do so. And if we don't like what they (computers) are doing, allow us to get ALL controls back...

best rgds,
Rob