PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2007, 09:23
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELAC" one must consider the remote possibility that throttles don't work properly...either in a cable controlled, or a fly by wire.
if pulling throttles to idle is a natural and normal thing, and it doesn't work, why waste time and try again?
my little checklist is for the case when moving throttles doesn't reduce thrust.
and again, I asked if it would have saved lives in this particular case? for some reason moving the throttles didn't work, or wasn't properly done .
have you ever had a throttle that didn't work? or a fuel cutoff lever that didn't cutoff the fuel? it has happened...and will probably happen again
bomarc,

Your initial question was:

For this unique accident, would the following memory items have saved lives?
My answer was accordingly for the case as we understand it here. There is no indication that either of the thrust levers didn't work and in this case the immediate cause of the problem appears to be that a thrust lever wasn't moved, not a thrust lever that was moved but without effect.

Other circumstances might dictate other actions, but for this unique accident the most effective memory item would have been: "Thrust levers....Idle".

ELAC