PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier documentary on Discovery Turbo
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 19:33
shavian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gareth

Thanks for your kind words. The book was easy and fun to write as it took me back to No 1 Sqn for a few days. Tony Harper and Dave Robbo helpe me to concoct the ficticious sortie that was the theme of the book. Tony had been a student of mine at Brawdy in about 76, and had previously helped me on the re-write of the 1 Sqn history in '83 following the Squadron's return from Op Corporate. Did you get to read that?

The C-141 returns to me through the mists of time, just as it appeared that morning through the mist of a Bahreini heat-haze. I was lining up with a 4-ship of 208 Sqn Hunters with the likes of Whitney Griffiths, Stefan Karwowski aand Bob Partridge when this huge aloominum overcast blotted out the sun. I can't remember whether he overshot because he saw us lining up, or because of the red very pistols, or because he'd suddenly realised he was not landing at Dhahran (20 miles away acros the water, but in a parallel universe known as Saudi Arabia). Actually, it was a rather minor and un-memorable incident in a wonderful first Hunter tour. But that's another story.....

Wader2, you trained with me?...gizza clue?

MS