PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 15:42
wileydog3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem. Often the assertion "The computer doesn't understand" can be translated into "My training didn't teach me what the computer is doing and why it is doing what it is doing."

And though it has been now almost two decades since the -320 accident at Mulhouse, you will still hear, "The computer refused to let the pilot fly the airplane." At that point, you cease trying to argue any point as it is pearls before swine.

I have been very fortunate in that I have been in 3 communities, gen/av, airline and military. And I have also been fortunate to climb in the cockpit of lots of different machines from Airbus to Yaks (albeit very short time in the Yak, Ilyushin and Tupolev).

But each group has its own culture and each community has its own subcultures. Back when I was on the 727, I often jumpseated on different airlines and was astonished at how differently the different airlines operated the same piece of equipment. And if one listened to their arguments of why they did X and not Y, they had sound arguments. Their procedures and training were the accumulation of incidents and accidents at their 'house' and thus it was important to do X and not Y.

And if one thinks it is difficult to change a procedure or practice, try changing a culture. It is close to impossible without some cataclysmic event which has enough force to MANDATE change. And if you want to see a real dog fight of cultures, merge a couple of established airlines. Everyone is convinced the way they do it is the BEST, no questions!