PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 06:29
Volume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a wing with all the panels up suffer structural overload apart from probably losing 80-90% lift?
On the A320 there are ground spoilers and flight spoilers. (In fact it is partly just a question of the maximum deflection, not of the control surfaces used).
Driving factor for not allowing several spoilers to operate (or to fully deflect) in flight is not the loss of lift. This is much lower than 80-90% anyway. Main problems are pitch trim changes and turbulence hitting the stabilizer, causing high dynamic loads there and causing some control difficulties, which you do not want to have close to the ground. Structural overload of the wing is no factor.

I have already witnessed landings with flight spoilers operated until close to touchdown, but I do not remember on which plane this was. Might have been a 737 as well.
Could anybody enlighten me, whether the flight spoilers are available during any phase of the flight, even close to the ground with the flight controls being in flare law, at all flap settings, with U/C down?
Will there be an auto spoiler function (armed spoilers, lever pulled) if one T/R is inop on the A320? (See the FedEd MD-11 Crash Report for comparison, the pilot was not aware that the ground spoiler auto deployment is not working, with the No.1 T/R inop)