PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 19:58
bomarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For just a moment, disregard fly by wire planes.

imagine, landing a conventional jet transport and the right throttle is jammed at 60percent power

the other throttle is normal.

while you have to stretch your imagination a bit, there is immediate tactile warning that something is wrong.

but let's continue for the sake of argument.

a pilot who realized what was going on, could use the fuel shut off lever/switch to kill the runaway engine...with a larger dryer runway, it still might have been a crackup, but a more survivable one.

I think it will boil down to this:

using configuration full and some problem with air/ground logic (wet runway?) landing spoilers and speed brakes wouldn't work...

less runway to work out the problem

less room on the side of the runway when the assymetric thrust took the plane off to the side.

if this had happened at KIAD for example, I think some would have walked away from this crash.

could something have jammed the throttle in the detent? something as innocuous as a writing pen or pencil? stranger things have caused crashes.

IF one thing is accomplished via this thread, I hope all pilots of all types will consider what to do in a runaway engine situation with limited time to THINK.

(if I may: either firewall both and go around and think it over, or FUEL CUT OFF- OFF on runaway engine)

Very little training if ANY is done for this odd scenario.

The only training I had for this scenario was for a very obscure turboprop some 22 years ago. Nothing for transport jets.

Please understand this is not yet an indictment of the airbus , just something to think about.