PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 19:09
marciovp
I support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud Brazilian

I am a proud Brazilian but lately I have been somewhat embarassed by the way these aviation accidents are being handled. In case you don´t know there is now a lot of people involved in deciding what went wrong. Let us start with our President that soon after the accident with TAM asked the Federal Police (FBI) to investigate to determine who is to blame. Of course the government was in the defensive because of Congonhas runway, its responsibility. Then there are Investigative Committes (CPIs) at the House of Representatives and the Senate. They do their own investigation and very few have the least experience with aviation. Then there is CENIPA the organ from the Air Force that investigates accidents. But the Air Force also administers the Air Traffic Control (equipments, softwares, controllers (almost all of them). Sometimes the State Police gets in as I believe is the case with São Paulo. And so on... What is happening now is that CENIPA got all the data from NTSC but was pressed to release them to the CPI of the House and then things started leaking. In a previous accident CENIPA had to relase the data to the Federal Police by a court decision... CENIPA say that it will take 10 to 12 months for them to release a final report... And so on... This embarasses me because I know how things work in the USA with the NTSB and FAA. Hope I am not going off track.