PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2007, 21:39
TripleBravo

Hi there, another one leaving his silent corner... ;-)

I have thought alot about that accident, but I don't see the point of introducing a kind of a "red button" would have saved the day of those dear lost souls. If it was like the rumors have it, it was there: thrust levers. What would you do instictively when you go too fast on ground? Cut power, right? Works also in a Cessna. Any introduction of additional buttons make things even more complicated as they could serve themselves as another human factor in the next, but different stress situation.

What you could do in a DC-9 (? not sure) or in a PC-6 is catastrophic with A320 or B737: selecting reverse or beta while flying. This is why there are protections against deploying reversers in flight. I remember at least three accidents with a hull loss caused by that (e. g. LaudaAir - they didn't even had time for a mayday before breaking up). Same goes for lift dumpers since nobody wants a stall in slow flight.

People say that the aircaft "should have known" that JJ3054 wants to stop there an then. But - what if the reverser (was) deployed inadvertently (as reversers already did in history, see LaudaAir et al.) and they originally wanted to go around? The system cannot tell which power lever position is the "right one". Any automatic system that would have been able to shut down ENG #2 on itself would lead to another catastrophe. Not in THIS case, right, but in another scenario. I personally wouldn't feel easy when I would know that there is some system that is able to just shut down power on its own. Remember, also this system could malfunction.

My bottom line would be that any introduction of new logic would make things more complicated and maybe save one ship but would lead to the loss of another, different one on a different day.

(I don't think it's a tall order for a pilot to operate the two single most important levers in the cockpit according to the book, is it?)

Cheers, BBB