PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2007, 06:59
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgot something:
The A320 really does something:
It prevents spoilers and autobrakes in such a situation, but doesn´t put the offending engine at idle.
Are you really suggesting that on the runway, with a TL at Climb Power i.e. most of the way forward, the aircraft denies that to the pilot and puts the engine at idle

Qu: On a B, I believe there is a "mechnanical" interlock on the TLs themselves preventing Rev selection unless the TL is at idle? Does any Rev selection require ALL TLs to be idle, or just the one Rev is trying to be selected on (AB the latter)...?

I think we need to get away from stating the AB system as inherently flawed, since it gets people's backs up, and the system has done many thousands (millions?) of landings safely. If you understand the system (which as professional pilots we should) and operate it correctly (ditto) then there is no issue. There seems a somewhat strange / unpredicted HF issue over the handling / briefing of the TLs in a 1 Rev U/S scenario, and that potentially was being addressed, albeit maybe too late in this case. All types have their "gotchas" - see Helios 737, LH 747 @ NBO...
NoD