PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Blasts NATO Allies Over Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2007, 12:39
Inspector Dreyfuss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst on the subject of Afghanistan, far be it for me to comment on an interesting letter in The Telegraph (19/7/07)......

"Sir, - Des browne reveals his Government's true colours by presenting such a specious argument regarding the real level of British casualties in Afghanistan. Spreading our casualties across a figure that includes the strength of our allies is disgraceful. It has already been credibly reported that some allies do not allow their soldiers to deploy at times of risk and they will not commit to the areas where fighting is taking place. Therefore, the risk of injury or death for our soldiers runs at close to one in nine as reported and is therefore unacceptable.
"I realise that he is only part time, so it must be difficult for him really to grasp what is happening in our military, but I think they deserve better than Mr Browne. Perhaps his other role as Secretary of State for Scotland is more important to him. If so he should give defence to someone prepared to look after our soldiers full-time and not try to spin his way out of an unfolding catastrophe for the Army."
Peter Mason
Cambridge