PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150, what are your toughts about this nice little bird?
Old 17th Jul 2007, 12:04
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I miss mine! It was my first aircraft, purchased way back in 1982. If what you are looking for is a cheap way to get yourself into the air, it can't be beat. Cheapest aircraft to own, cheapest to insure.

Not exactly high performance but it can give you enough challenges to keep you honest. Wing drop thing is nonsense. The aircraft stalls nicely. To be sure you can spin it readily, intentionally or not (see above about challenges), especially you are ham-fisted with it, but it is also easy to recover if there's enough room between you and the earth. It was after all, designed as a trainer and spin recovery was once on the curriculum.

One thing you will learn very quickly in a 150, is the importance of carb heat; that and the flaps are the only real vices. And the only real vice of the flaps is the 40 degree setting; in a go-around with 40 flaps, you won't climb, period. You will have very strong pitch-up forces requiring lots of nose-forward correction on the stick and nose-down trim. You need to bleed off 20 degrees immediately to reduce drag and see a positive rate (and don't go beyond 20 as the aircraft will start to sink),, and on electric flap models, that can seem to take an eternity if you're coming up on obstacles...and you will be very busy with the trim, and the strong pitch-up tendency. Then as you establish a positive rate of climb, you bleed off the remaining flaps 10 degrees at a time. Moreover, it will land very short with 40 degrees...beware landing in places only to find you don't have enough room to take off...read the performance section of the POH very thoroughly before going into tight spots, especially if you're loaded. Of course there is no rule that says you that you must use the 40 degree flap setting.

You can get an honest 100 mph on about 5 GPH (US) on it so it's cheap on fuel. That works out to about 20 mpg...roughly what a smaller US-style SUV would get (and probably not much faster in real life...)

Some say "get a 152". True, slightly better engine (2400 vs 1800 TBO, 108 vs 100 hp), but the 24v electrical system on the 152 can be expensive trouble, and 150s can be had for much less money, for the same basic airframe. The 1800 TBO shouldn't be an issue if you buy one with lots of time remaining on the engine; typical private pilots fly about 50 hours a year...you do the math!

In short, a simple, honest aircraft, and for most of us $100 hamburger types, probably all you really need. Not nearly as vice-laden as a Tomahawk or the Grumman AA1 series; cheaper than a Skipper or anything more recent, though perhaps not as "fun".

You could also opt for an Aerobat if you can find it...see thread elsewhere. It is not really suited to serious aerobatics but it can do some simple stuff and with only 100 hp, should make you learn energy management.

I have kind of been hoping to find a buyer for my aerobat Sundowner actually, now that I rarely use all 4 seats, in order to buy a nice little 150, but the Canadian $'s meteoric rise in value has caused a drop in aircraft prices...not good if you're selling a more expensive bird to buy a cheaper one, so I am hanging onto it.

Only downside I can see (and this applies to all two-seaters) is that with the 1600 lb gross weight, and a typical empty weight of about 1100 lbs, if you're a big bloke, say 200 lbs, and you fly with other big blokes, say 200 lbs, you've only got about 100 lbs left for fuel and baggage, so basically 3 hours flying no baggage, 2 hours with 30 lbs. baggage.

Bottom line, a 150 ain't no Ferrari of the air, but it is honest aerial transportation and can be a good deal of fun.