PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 16th Jul 2007, 16:45
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts
Burtonwood GS...worked on the "no frills" principal..crammed into a converted ambulance at Warrington Station, dumpted at the launch point, heaved and grunted all day....had one instructor for whom "communication skills " was an oxymoron ( he decided to fly in cloud one day a few months later in a powered aircraft over Cumbria...the rising ground did the rest ) and was thus sent solo for my endeavours. First one was fine, second one had a little glitch in the circuit planning....coughs....hence landed out on a dispersal surrounded by 45gallon oil drums. Totally unfazed spotty youth at the time wondering what all the panic was about...pointed out to first Inst on the scene that I was Ok thanks....and had my first encounter with the "well done" in one ear and "WTF were you playing at!" in the other style of interview.

I was so traumatised by the experience that I continued with gliding once in the RAF, but only because by then I discovered it had added value in the forms of alcohol, non PC food and members of the opposite sex.