PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The B737 Landing Roll - F/O handling and Captain Hovering..
Old 13th Jul 2007, 17:45
ZAZOO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I May!

Hi there,

I fly in Nigeria as a first officer for a local airline here on the 737-200.

I came direct to the right sit with training captains after sim and also after observing for about 60hrs on the jump. before that I had not flown for about 5yrs and the largest airplane I flew last was the Seminole. Today I have over 1500hrs on the 737-200.

Our company sop is simple all things being normal the Captain calls out 80kts I have control and he closes the reversers and comes to a full stop or as the case may be roll her unto the next exit and then turn off. Today some captains allow me to stop the airplane to a full stop and then they take over the controls for exit and taxi. I have had one or two who even allow me to steer the plane to the next exit and then start a turn off with my rudders before taking control.

I believe this is good for the f/o but must come with experience.
I remember not too long ago when I would come in and land a little bit to the right or left of the centerline HHmmm sometimes bit more if u catch my drift or when the wind was quite strong and had a little difficulty on finals or maybe just a tot too high and start floating down the runway the captain would most times take controls quicker than expected, I believe this is only normal there ere times I felt relief when they did.
Remember the responsibility is with him and his got the experience. The runway could be wet or short or maybe u have left a lot of runway behind you !!! believe me he will have controls earlier, its his responsibility.

On the other hand in a small airline like ours u get to fly with the same captains on a regular basis and I most say this helps a lot cos they get to see your progress and then can allow u do a little bit more because they are comfortable with your handling and by the time you know it he lets u stop the airplane comfortably while building your confidence too. And if your lucky leaves u with a comment like " u coming on very well Jack, nice one and well managed".

But remember not all captains are the same they also have their limits about how far u can go, some have very fast response skills and are more relaxed than the others and give u a little bit more of a chance to see if you can correct and redeem your image but some will not hesitate to intervene quicker. Believe me its good to have them both.

Today I really do not care when the captain wants the airplane All I bother about is to put it right there nicely or firmly ( not like the one I did last night in Libreville Lord have mercy what an arrival ) depending on the runway conditions with closed throttles, exit the wind correction if any wind then put the nose down engage the reversers stay on xnterline as she slows down and at 80kts depending on whos next to me hand over the controls or close the buckets while gently applying brakes without wobbling and voila.

So yes the sop says at 80kts but if I might add what was happening before 80kts!!!!

All the best and Safe Flights.

Zaz

Last edited by ZAZOO; 13th Jul 2007 at 18:11.