PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:58
Crinklstein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one posted by Fly 747 on another thread.

Good info:

EK Recruitment
I got this forwarded by a friend, apparently written by an ex Australian Airlines pilot, seems to cover it all nicely. I particularly found the number of pilots they need interesting.
G'day All,
I recently spent a few days in Dubai – no, I wasn’t actually there to apply to Emirates, saw a few QF guys who were though! However, for other reasons, I did end up meeting the Flt Ops HR Manager and the Manager of Pilot Recruitment while I was there. I had good discussions with them regarding the selection process, requirements, interview, etc, as well as their pilot requirements for the foreseeable future. I was also given a tour of Dubai, and shown the pilot accommodation villas, training facilities, etc.
They have heard about the closure of AO and asked how they could recruit pilots who may not wish to return to Qantas. They asked me if I would pass on some info to anyone interested and be a point of contact to discuss what they told me/showed me while I was there, what I thought of Dubai, etc. I have a number of Emirates recruitment DVDs and brochures on Dubai, and well as some fact sheets on their selection process, terms and conditions, and so forth. If any one is interested, let me know.
In a word, they are desperate for pilots, they need 280 by the end of this year and 450 next year, and that’s just for starters. Emirates currently has about 1700 pilots, they require 3000 by 2010. They have over a hundred aircraft on order, including 48 A380s, and rumor has it that they are about to order another 100 aircraft, which will obviously create a requirement for more pilots.
There is quite a bit of info about requirements, T&Cs, life in Dubai, etc on the Emirates website, go to www.emirates.com. Here is a brief summary:
Requirements:
Direct Entry Command 8000 hrs total (was previously 10,000)
3000 hrs command multi-engine, multi-crew aircraft >55t (Not negotiable!)
4000 hrs total M/E, M/Crew a/c >10t as P1 or P2 (Capt or F/O)
Preference for Boeing EFIS time for short transition course onto B777.
(At this stage DEC planned to close in July/August, no guarantee of opening again…
Accelerated Command 6000 hrs total
4000 hrs total M/E, M/Crew a/c >10t as P1 or P2 (Capt or F/O)
Anticipated Upgrade to Captain within 2yrs (probably 18mths)
First Officer 4000 hrs total
2000 hrs total M/E, M/Crew a/c >10t as P1 or P2 (Capt or F/O)
Minimum 3 yrs continuous service with Emirates.
Salaries
Captain First Officer
Monthly Base Pay (Dirhams) 29,750 20,840 (1 AUD = 3 Dirham approx, i.e. divide by 3 = AUD)
Productivity Pay (hrly rate over 78/mth) 460 325
Flying Pay (per hr flown up to 78/mth) 45 35
Provident Fund (Super) <10yrs Srvce 12% 12%
>10yrs Srvce 15% 15%
Currency Fluctuation Protection
Emirates pays a monthly payment to protect against appreciation of your ‘home’ currency against the Dirham. At the moment, this is about AUD$1,860 per month for Captains, AUD$1,300 for F/Os.
Accommodation
Emirates provides pilots fully furnished free accommodation, including all water, gas, elec, & maint costs; however, if you want to purchase a property, or live elsewhere (within Dubai, that is), they will pay a mthly accom. Allowance of 10,590 for Captains, and 9,430 for F/Os
School Fees
Emirates pays school fees for up to 3 children, for primary they pay 100% of fees up to 10,000/yr, and 90% of fees above that to max of 30,000. For secondary, they pay 100% of first 20,000 and 90% of remainder up to max of 48,000 per year (these figures are per child).
Medical & Insurance.
Free medical for employee, heavily subsidized for spouse/children. Loss of Licence insurance is 36 moths salary; accident and life insurance is 48 months salary
Annual Leave
42 days/year. Emirates provides free travel to home for employee, spouse, children once a year. Can be used to go anywhere in network, also.
Bonus
Paid yearly, usually minimum one month salary, has been as high as three months.
Bidding
Monthly requests for trips, days off, layovers/overnights, etc, can also negative bid trips.
Rotating seniority system; pilots in each rank/type are in five groups, 1-5, they rotate each month, therefore cycle through in 5 months. Reserve is shared, generally do a ‘reserve line’ about every 9-12 months.
Car Loan
New Hire pilots qualify for interest free loan for 55,000 Dirham when starting. Emirates provides chauffeur driven car to/from work each trip, free for all flight crew.
Selection Process
The selection process runs over three days:
Day 1: Is a welcome chat/brief; document check, incl logbook/licence, etc; followed by technical quiz of 30 questions, ranging from easy to hard. Not too much emphasis is placed in this in terms of the final outcome, it is mainly designed to separate the pretenders and contenders. This is followed by the sim. Yep, sim on day one. I have more info about the sim content if required.
Day 2: This includes a few teamwork exercises/workshops and role play etc. This is followed by a brief on T&Cs at Emirates, life in Dubai, and includes a short tour of Dubai, including pilot accommodation/villas, medical facilities and training facilities if there is time.
Day 3: This includes psychometric testing and the panel interview, which is generally a conducted by an HR person and a Captain on the pilot selection committee.
After the interview is the medical.
Okay, probably sounds like a lot of info from someone who wasn’t checking out the employment opportunities. But that’s the truth, they are so desperate for pilots they were quite happy to spend the time with me to ‘pass the message’ on to others. By the way, this email shouldn’t be taken as an endorsement for Emirates or leaving Qantas, or in any way aimed at influencing anyone’s decision, I am merely passing on information I was given to repay the hospitality I was shown…. and no I don’t get a commission on recruits!!
Let me know if you if you require anymore information.
Cheers, xxxxx