PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "30 more pilots underpaid"
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2007, 03:54
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SDT, might I make a few points about your comments?
But what is also obvious is the it is the perception of 100 plus pilots at NJS ( not to mention the RFDS and XR ), that the AFAP has dropped the ball, that is why they have gone to the TWU.
Not really. The AFAP had a little over 60% financial members at NJS. Only one of those AFAP members has resigned his membership, for a technical reason. As far as I know, all other AFAP members want to remain so, and are 'double ticketed' with the TWU and paying subs to two unions.

Pilots are notorious for being cheap. When pilots are happy to continue contributing $700-$1260 per annum to a union that is not representing them at the table, well that tells me something. Not quite "gone to the TWU."
Apparently many other organisations in WA have had the same experiences with AFAP.
I know that Skywest did so a few years ago, I am not aware of the reasons why. You cannot discount the inevitable "we do it differently here in WA" tensions! Neither of us know the reasons and the players, we should avoid speculation.
There are presently pilots from organisations other than NJS joining TWU and not the AFAP.
Good on them, especially if they were not in any union before. Better off in any union than none at all.

I hope that they picked the TWU because they took a look at who they were and what they needed from a union, and are not simply following the herd.
The TWU is not the beast we all know from the past, they have evolved from the wife beaters and double pluggers to become a modern'ish organisation with the same core values of protecting members.
I suspect they never were the double pluggers they were made out to be!

Never underestimate the politics of envy -- there are a lot of 'middle class' folk that went to university and got themselves into 'professional occupations' that look across at the Cashed Up Bogans -- left school at Yr10 and are now paid $120k+ to drive trucks, build McMansions and take overseas holidays.

I am prepared to consider that maybe the TWU got those conditions for their people because they are smart, organised, and savvy.
Now in the NJS case you neglect to mention the bargaining period that has been applied for by the TWU ( on behalf of its members ), this period is when real progress can take place, this for interest is one of the few times employee's can legally take sanctioned "action", be that strikes/stop works or worse. Do you think that will change the outcome ?.
Couple of points..
I've received three newsletters and mail from the TWU in the last month and none of them mention that a bargaining period has been commenced. In fact I am told by my local rep that it will not take place until a number of agreements fall due on 30th June. Maybe then a notice of bargaining might be sent.

By legally sanctioned I guess you mean protected industrial action? Yes that can take place.

Let me dispel a few ideas about what constitutes protected industrial action under WorkChoices.

There will be no stoppages, no strikes, no secondary boycotts. That stuff is ancient history.

In April of this year, the Australian Nursing Federation obtained an order for protected industrial action in support of the Northern Territory EBA for Nurses. One of the first granted under WorkChoices. The protected industrial action consisted of permission for nurses to do only those duties that fell under their qualification as Registered or Enrolled Nurses. Normally you could instruct a Nurse to do clerical work related to patient care, make beds etc. However, during the period of protected industrial action, ANF members, on the days specified, could refuse to do duties that could be done by a doctor, a patient care assistant. Wow! Hardly earth shattering. But full protection. The kicker -- if the nurse exercised that right, he/she would not be paid for the entire shift!.

So, strikes, work to rule, stop work, refuellers going out in support? Its 2007, guys, stop dreaming!

It will be more likely that it will be stuff like refusing to take a duty extension (and ending up in a flea pit in Paraburdoo). Refusing to do a CNS overnight because the accommodation has not been assessed as suitable. Refusing to shorten rostered rest periods to CAO 48 Exemption minimums, even though it means you will be home later. Refusing to take an aircraft with more than 3x OMEL. Refusing to do flight and duty timesheets that could be completed by the Senior Base.

And have your pay docked.

First ask, what is a realistic scenario for industrial action in our workplace, today? Realise it will cost each pilot some money or inconvenience.

For the first time in a long time, NJS pilots are motivated to take action. I am just concerned that not everybody has the same picture in their head as to what industrial action means these days. And if we are not all marching to the same beat of the drum, there will be hiccups, and diminished effectiveness.
Rumour has it that HR at NJS has already agree'd to talk with the TWU, that is a step forward from the past.
Funny, the rumour around here is that they are politely taking their calls, but telling them they have no desire to speak with them!
One last point, not sure exactly how 2% CPI can be percieved as fair, the cost of living has increased at a greater rate than this, the cost of housing for one has increased a lot more than 2%
The NJS proposal is a constraint of their own making. They took on the extended 717 contract on a tight price, with a capped 2% increase over the five years. It is not about fairness, it is about the company thinking its pilots would voluntarily accept diminishing conditions because the best deal they could make was crap!

Just giving you feedback from where I sit, SDT. Unchecked assumptions rapidly turn into 'truth'