PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mess Rugby
Thread: Mess Rugby
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2007, 15:55
tu chan go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was holding at Laarbruch at the end of the 70s (see,we had to hold as well!), I went to Rheindhalen for the results of the Salmond Trophy competition. This was a flying comp for all the fast jet sqns in RAFG (which 16 Sqn had won by some careful engineering work (which is another story)) and nearly every fast jet pilot, navigator, engineer and hangers on gathered in the Officers Mess to hear the results. The Mess staff had already drained the fish pond outside in preparation for our arrival in case we decided to swim in it. Then followed the biggest mess rugby game I have ever seen (in 27 years in the RAF!). Over 150 mates using a seat cushion for a ball. One big rolling ball of humanity with at least 10 different sides competing (all the fast jet sqns had their own team). No-one knows who won but there were no breakages (of bones that is, plenty of bits missing from walls etc). The worst injury was to a Buccaneer navigator who fell over in the bus on the way back to Laarbruch and broke his arm.

Great days!