PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin UK - Wannabees & Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2007, 15:47
Northern1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I had an interview with Virgin on 24th May and found out I had the position the following day. I found this forum as well as a couple of others a great help in answering questions. I have Copied what I have found on other forums and put it below. This is not a definitive list of questions at all but thought it may help a little :-)

How old do you have to be in order to be crew for Virgin?

To be crew with Virgin you need to be over 18

Are You just LGW based?

No, crew are based at LHR but also fly from LGW. MAN also became a permanent base in Jan 2007, but to get to MAN you have to complete your probation at LHR.

Where is the training held?

The training is conducted at The Base in Crawley - Virgin's own training centre

What do I need to do to apply?

You need to call Virgin Recruitment on 0870 190 4403 or go on the website at www.virgin-atlantic.com

Do you pay for your training?

No - You do not need to pay for any training

I live up North can I still apply?

Yes you can!

Do Crew commute with Virgin?

Yes they do! Virgin have crew who live all over the place including Europe and the States!

How does commuting work with Standby's?

It is now MONTHLY standby. You can try and get a flight through the Crew Service Centre before hand, but it is imperative that you are able to get to LHR/LGW/MAN within the call out time. (MAN is not on monthly standby at the moment)

How Many flights do you do a month???

This can vary, the average is between 3 and 7 dependant on hours

Do you fly with the same crew?

Not very often! Virgin have over 4500 crew so flying with the same each time is limited

Whats the pay like?

You get paid each month, on the 20th - into your bank account you will get between 800-1100 a month - this does not include your allowances from downroute that you may not have spent. Allowances can range between £70- £300 depending on the trip. People often say Virgin money is not very good due to the fact that people do not pay their allowances into the bank (like happens with most Charter airlines). Remember even doing 4 of the lowest paid trips you would still receive £280 allowances downroute tax free. That means on a bad month you would get around £1100. For the amount of hours that are completed compared to many of the charters it does seem a very reasonable wage.

What part of the aircraft do Cabin Crew work?

Cabin Crew work in Premium Economy and Economy Cabins

What aircraft do you get trained on?

You get trained on Boeing 747 and Airbus A340

Is it true Virgin look for a certain flare???

Virgin want to see the real you, and see how you interact with people and how you have fun!

Is it true you get assessed on every flight?

Yes - You get performance monitoring on every flight. This also is how promotions are worked out, although from Cabin Crew to Senior Cabin Crew, this is going to be incorporated into a new system of points although no-one actually knows the points you need! For CSS & FSM, you are invited from your performance (IE- SCC- CSS and CSS-FSM)

Is Virgin Seasonal?

No Virgin is Permanent - subject to a probation period

Where can I find out more information on Virgin?

You can find more information here Virgin

Do you need to be able to drive in order to work for Virgin?

No - but you do need to remember that you are responsible to ensure you can get to the airport in time!

How long are the trips?

Trips are anything from 1 night to 9 days away from base

Is it true that you only get MCO and JFK as a new starter??

No - you get a good mixture of destinations

What should I wear for my Interview??

You should wear smart business attire - not jeans!

What is the assessment day like??

The assessment day is great fun! It is nothing to worry about!

Is it true you have to sing??

Depends on the task that is assigned to you, or unless you just break out into random song!

I've heard there is a maths test is there??

Indeed there is, and an English test

I've had my interview and not heard anything what should I do??

Virgin will let you know the outcome of your interview within 7-14 day's. So do allow this before contacting them. Please remember that this is WORKING days and this is Monday-Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

nb- I and others that were at my interview heard within 24 hours

When do you get your staff travel benefits???

You get these after you have passed your probation (generally 6 months)

I want to be Manchester based can I?

Once you have passed your probation and depending on if there is availability at the MAN base.

Who is the person who wears the white uniform??

This is the IFBT (Inflight Beauty Therapist )

I've seen someone wearing a black blouse who is it??

This is the FSM (Flight Service Manager) The male FSM's wear a grey shirt

What do you have to do an the assessment day???

The day is structured, you have varies tasks, including a group discussion, introduce yourself and read a short paragraph of info. If successful you then have to complete the Maths and English test and then the 2-2-1 interview.

I've heard only a few people get offered a job with Virgin each day??

If you meet the criteria that Virgin look for on your assessment day, and in your interview then you will get offered a position, if no one meets it on that day then no one will get the job, they do not have a set number to interview or to offer jobs!

What are the trips like, are they like a holiday??

Each trip is differnt, some trips you may do lots and some you may just want to stay in your room, there is no pressure on doing anything!

I also have a couple of questions if somebody can help-

What is the dress code for training?
Can you park at the base for training?
Is anybody else starting the same time as me?
Are you able to contact the reference centre to check on the progress of your references?

Thanks for your help