PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Cockpit? MK V
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 17:15
MReyn24050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently the Avro Avian IVA in which Sir Charles Kingsford Smith broke the London-Darwin record was later used by Guy Lambton Menzies the Australian aviator when he undertook the first solo trans-Tasman flight, from Sydney, Australia to the West Coast of New Zealand, on 7 January 1931. It was Menzies who renamed the aircraft to the "Southern Cross Junior". Fearing he might be denied permission for the flight, Menzies informed the authorities and his family that he was flying to Perth. Instead, he left Sydney at 1 am on January 7th, 1931, and headed for Blenheim, New Zealand. Poor weather forced Menzies off course, and after 11 hours and 45 minutes he crash-landed upside-down in the La Fontaine Swamp near Hari Hari on New Zealand's west coast. Despite the unfortunate landing, he had broken Smith and Ulm's time by 2½ hours.The aircraft was then shipped back to Sydney but is reported to have crashed on the 12th April 1931and I believe written off.
IndiaFour Two asked:- Is that an original Avro panel or was it custom fitted for Kingsford-Smith? Except for the compass, it has a very US look to it.
I personally am unable to answer that question, I should imagine it was a custom built panel to suit Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith. Can anyone advise?