PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Respect and gratitude for the military
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2007, 17:55
John Blakeley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should things change?

I think that both Chutley and PN make excellent points and I am grateful to have a full copy of Kipling's verse at last. Again talking to people here I think that Kipling's comments applied to US service personnel as well in the old days, and I agree about Vietnam vets' treatment, although I believe that views on the Vets' treatment (not the war) have changed over the years - perhaps it is the genuine links to the local communities (as the UK Army used to enjoy a lot more than it does today), the fact that they no longer have an unfair system for conscription and that the US can afford things like State NGs and ANGs (who can, and do, provide massive asasistance to the civil community as well) that keeps the military more in a sympathetic public eye. However, I would still like to see the day when a similar situation could exist in the UK - pie in the sky perhaps.

PN - sorry I am still too many time zones out of kilter for the 35 connection to trigger a brain cell - how about a PM to save my embarassment!