PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2007, 06:30
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got me there, I guess!

Anyone else here old enough to remember 'The Fatal Glass of Beer'? It's an old W. C. Fields sketch. At the climax the prodigal son piously tells his parents, 'I took that tainted money and threw it in the river!' at which they throw his loser ass out in the snow. Me, I took that tainted money and kept it, every kobo. SASless uses his to torment innocent fish. You, I suppose, have founded an orphanage?

I noticed with pleasure that many of my colleagues used theirs to give aid and comfort to wayward women, a rather pleasant form of charity. 'Well, yes, I do give (Blessing, Charity, Patience, Prudence... insert name here) money but that is just for her family. She luurves me!' Ah! So nothing to do with her fulfilling your fantasies then.

You mean that I switched at some point from saying things were just fine in Nigeria (aside from whining about almost being shot on the way to work) to complaining about the place? I like the people but that is about it; pretty much anything to do with the government is in a real state and I thought that was always my position. Should I put a positive spin on the idea of people being reduced to buzzing around in lousy little three-wheelers where they could once afford beat-up Peugeot 504s? If I could do that I would have been a manager instead of just a driver.

It takes a sunny disposition to think kidnap victims being released, without the criminals being brought to justice, is a good thing. The Nigerian system is just not very, ah, 'systematic,' is it? You get the odd guy serious about reform but it's mostly a country being ruled by a criminal elite, a 'kleptocracy.'

As to my esteemed German colleague there, did a position for an Experimental Test Pilot come open on a kangaroo ranch or did he simply wear out his welcome? This time of year in Germany is especially stressful for his sort of guy; the crows are becoming active and they just love to crap on Porsches, when their excrement damages the paint. If he were a tiny bit smarter he might imagine that to be one birdman's greetings to another; as it is he just worries about where to park.