PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2007, 08:12
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, God! Yes, we had those three-wheelers in Viet Nam as well, where they were known as 'dong carts' (after the local currency, the 'dong').

I remember one day in the rainy season watching a local blatting along in Lagos traffic in his three-wheeler, working its wonky little windscreen wiper with his left hand while steering with his right. It really didn't look very safe, even by local terms.

I guess it's one more marker of the decline of Nigeria, in that when I got there in the early Eighties one expected to use a Peugeot 504 as a taxi. The idea of an Okada or a Marwa had not yet surfaced; people were still waiting for the boom years of the Seventies to return.

Remember the Lagos Metro scheme, how that one would come and go, until it finally went? There is something similar in the middle of Palermo, Sicily, with a long line of huge, round concrete pillar bases marching through the middle of town, the only remnant of an elevated light railway that collapsed due to (wait for it!) bribery and corruption.

Then there would be the occasional shipments of red buses to mark the complete rejuvenation of Lagos public transport. That would last about six months until you saw all these rolling wrecks, missing lights, windows and most anything else not absolutely necessary for forward motion. The horn always worked, though!

I suppose some have now been scrapped but when Okada was still going many Nigerian airports had at least one wrecked BAC-1-11, always with the nose gear wiped out. The odd thing was that they never even bothered to paint out the airline name on the wreck. What, was it free advertising or something?