PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aborted landings/Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2007, 22:39
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I also had one incident when I was expecting one where I didn't get it. On an A340 into Amsterdam, the aircraft seemed to be lining up to come down a bit shorty of the runway. We came down to around the height of a four storey building and I was saying to myself "Here comes a go-around". Sure enough, the engines fired up, but only enough for the aircraft to maintain height and then it was brought down successfully onto the runwaya few hundred metres further on."

840, was it, by any chance, a very windy day with winds blowing from the southwest? 'cause in that case they sometimes use R/W 24 for landing, but this R/W does not have an ILS in that direction. So they use the ILS of R/W 22, then "circle to land" (actually a 20 degree right turn and a bit of power since 24 starts more or less at the end of 22) on 24.

BTW R/W 22 is only 2000 meters so it's only used for GA, BizJets, small commuters and the occasional 737, if the winds are OK. R/W 24 is 3500 meters so is suitable for the big iron.