PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 17:21
Old Hairy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I was chosen for my Adonis looks,breeding and innate skills,but then of course this was in 1957 and 3Grp. who always were that little bit in advance of 1Grp.
We carried out Sea Survival in Felixstowe Harbour,again in the winter months,once recovered from that trauma,Escape and Evasion ont Yorkshire Moors.

By 1959 again back at Gaydon. we were always constituted before arrival no choice.E&S was now at Mountbatten,but then they did provide a natty certificate, "borne with courage and fortitude".

When I finally flew Vulcans at BD.apart from the nominated "Project Capt." never flew with the same crew twice and they were all ugly buggers

Being serious,escape by rear crew members was really a lottery,depending on the nature of the emergency,crew training, time and place.Two instances that come to mind on the Victor. 15000ft.on climbout,only the Captain and AEO survived. 1500ft. 5 miles finals,all five survived!!

It must be obvious that by time Beagle got there,only the ugly buggers were left