PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 08:01
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From a PM I am reminded of CTTO and the GSU.

One tale from the GSU. I was the radar leader on 35 in Cyprus but I was not the first into the oral.

The first victim, a 1st tourist and later wg cdr on Buccs, came out spitting feathers. WTF was the 28v J-line?

When it was my turn I attacked. It turned out that the geniuses that designed the NBS (and they were true geniuses) had decided that one piece of wire could do two jobs. On a bombing run, at high level, the nav radar would tilt the scanner down as he approached the target. At the same time the radar scope camera would operate every 7.5 seconds. The J-line was used to send the firing pulse to the camera.

After the attack, and when the camera was not running, the nav rad would raise the scanner tilt. The up tilt command was sent to the tilt motor via the same 28v J-line. Simple.

However if the nav rad raised the scanner during the bomb run it would inhibit the camera; this had been reported as a fault. Instead of simply telling everyone the GSU chose this as a 'trap'.

During the same interrogation I was asked how the nose pistol on the 1000lb bomb worked. I went into minute detail until I said and it hits the ground and starts the detonation sequence. Very good he said except that at 18 inches above the ground you get diaphram reversal which starts the detonation sequence.

I then trumped him with - No, that is the Number 76 mark 1 pistol. We use the Number 76 Mark 2 which has a metal plate over the diaphram.

he deserved it.