PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aborted landings/Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2007, 04:58
Cleared Visual

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in 2004 was on a Qantaslink (Eastern) Dash 8 flight from Sydney to Moree with a stop in Narrabri. Bumpy ride out of Sydney, cloud cover the whole way. Pilot configured for landing and attempted to establish approach at Narrabri, but as we broke through the cloud cover, aircraft pitched up sharply and power was increased. Very impressed by Capt's prompt announcement once we'd gained some altitude that we had aborted the approach as he had been "unable to see the runway above the minimum safe altitude", so we discontinued. CC, well one FA, pregnant at the time, remained very calm throughout, and very reassuring to distressed passengers following the subsequent bumpy, but successful approach.

After spending some time on the ground (the crew advised they were waiting for instructions from the company as to if they should continue to Moree), we took off again before the F/A had finished the safety breif, and once again the Capt. promptly advised that we had taken advantage of a gap in the weather, but that we had enough fuel for one attempt at Moree, and if he couldn't see the runway we would divert to Tamworth. Fortunately, after a few low circuits over the airport, we landed on the first attempt. Was very impressed at the level of information given to us by that crew, and as i was travelling with my mother, a nervous flyer at the best of times, it was very reassuring that the crew had done everything possible to keep us calm, happy and informed. Only heard one pax whinging about the late arrival, of roughly 25 on board!

On another note, I have been in 3 rejected take-offs in a C206, but that was with a full load, on a very short strip!