PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aborted landings/Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2007, 08:21
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamC
Just wondering really how many of you have actually been in a go-around as a passenger on an aircraft.
Quite a few. When you've "been there, done that", the go-around is really pretty routine. I can imagine how, if the reason for it is adverse weather, the ride might be pretty uncomfortable - but it would almost certainly have been pretty uncomfortable even without a go-around, just for a shorter period.

The workload on the flight deck during and immediately after a go-around is pretty high. I think that we've had some previous threads here on go-arounds where pilots have explained in some detail all the work they have to do. Making announcements is a distraction from the task of safely managing and flying the aircraft.

I think that there's probably a better case to be made for a standard procedure in which the cabin crew make an announcement. It would have to be pretty anodyne, and wouldn't be able to give a reason - but at least it would be an opportunity to reassure the passengers that a go-around is a perfectly normal and routine thing. For those passengers who want to listen, of course; there are always going to be those who are convinced that they are in mortal danger every moment that they're in the air.