PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aborted landings/Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2007, 13:06
BrummyGit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree about this.

Some colleagues of mine were travelling with BA Connect Stuttgart -> Birmingham in an Embraer on 18th Jan when we had the big storms.

They had 3 aborted attempts at landing in Birmingham (I witnessed attempt 3 as they were half way down the runway at about 4m and "overshot" - BA's word) before being told by the pilot that they needed to divert to Manchester. They then had 2 attempts at getting down (luckily the second attempt was a good one) and were slightly surprised to find that they were on the ground at East Midlands instead.

During their flight the cabin crew apparently also looked scared and were being sick themselves, the flight ran out of sick bags and the CC stayed in their seats while one passenger was taken quite badly ill (sickness or panic attack) leaving the surrounding passengers to assist.

When I picked them up from East Mids they told me that they were appalled at the lack of information from the flight deck which had left them fearing the worst. By their account they were trying to land for about 2 hours in total and managed it on their 5 attempt and got about 2 messages from the captain. Non of us could actually believe that it was safe to be flying under those circumstances - what happens if you need to land ASAP due to a technical fault on the aircraft or a passenger illness?

I'm a regular, but very nervous, passenger and would have been terrified if I had been on this flight. I always find communication from the front seats to be a big relief - after take off I always watch for the intercom from the flight deck to release the cabin crew as this reassures me that all is OK.

I flew from Stuttgart to Amsterdam on 12th Jan with KLM in a Fokker 100. During the flight, and whilst the captain was giving his mid-point announcement the right hand engine (I was sitting alongside it) cut out totally for around 10 seconds before seemingly restarting - this happened twice about 5-10 minutes apart along with the associated lurch in the plane as the direction was affected, yet the captain told us nothing about it - I was very concerned and yet would have been bery pleased to hear an explanation - either good or bad about what had just happened. I was even more worried when that flight ended with a VERY rough approach and landing into Amsterdam where we were going from no real throttle to what must have been close to max just to keep in line and in the back of my mine were these unexpected engine cuts which if the happended again could have caused a serious problem during the final approach.

From a nervous PAX, my message is I would like as much information as often as possible as this is very comforting. Better to go over the top than not give enough IMHO