PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 1st Feb 2007, 02:55
Crinklstein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"What about pay vs education, safety, security, two tiered legal system, management support, standard of living, living o/s, ftls, fatigue and so on." Earnest Gann.

Great points there. Shall we look at a few then.

1. Education. Maybe with the salaries we all made at our former airlines, we could send our kids to a private school. Maybe some of us could.

2. Okay the 2 tiered legal system? Well the first thing we need to understand is that this is not the good U.S. of A where there is freedom and justice for all. It is a Sheikhdom. There are no elections to a point where a cabinet is elected etc,etc. It's a bit different up here and one cannot change a system that has been around for years. Maybe when they have elections next, we can lobby our MP to make the necessary changes.

3. Standard of living? Man we are in the middle east what do you expect? Did your former airline pay for housing? Did they pay for water or gas or electricity, or a refurbishment alowance.

4. Safety? I have never felt more safe here than in my former country. At least here one may not be shot in a drive-by, or probably not mugged. Or knifed. It is a relatively safe country to live in.

5. Fatigue, great way to adress that is sleep a little more on overnights and not party or shop too much. Try it, it works.

6. Flight time limitations: We used to have a limit of a 1000 hrs a year in my forme airline, we would only ever work 7-800 hours of course, so 900 hours is a luxury. And to be fair i have felt tired on occasion, but that was a one off occasion, sleep is great for that kind of thing.

7. Management support. Well we are supported to a degree, and it is enough. Too much support and we'll be having them over for dinner every Thursday. Suites me fine.

So in short. For the wannabee joiners. EK is a good airline, it's not the best but it is a good airline. Every company has issues even EK. There are proper chanels to adress those issues. Certainly not slagging your own company and superiors on a public forum. Just not professional.

Last edited by Crinklstein; 1st Feb 2007 at 21:41.