PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Die another Day" Helicopter Stunt
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2007, 01:08
SASless

Received 500 Likes on 208 Posts
Way too many years ago, I was involved in a discussion for an interesting project some Army Colonel thought up during a fit of wit that only the truly thick can do.

During one of my evenings out from a military hospital where I was vacationing while watching my skin grow, I ran into this fellow in the Officer's Mess bar.

He seemed an interesting chap who was involved to some extent with new concepts of airborne assault. Please note "Airborne" and not "Air Mobile"...which are two concepts with very little to do with each other.

He suggested my vast experience would be greatly appreciated should I care to volunteer for this duty, details of which he was not at liberty to discuss. (When senior officers start buying 20 year old Warrant Officer Helicopter Pilots drinks and being chummy....all sorts of huge red waving flags appear!)

I says, "Colonel, what in the world do you "Airborne" guys need with some straight leg helicopter pilots?" He said that being a mere "Leg" would not be a problem that could not be resolved by a three week holiday at Fort Benning Jump School.

After more than a few of the foaming ales....it came out that what the project was about was airdropping an OH-6A Cayuse (Hughes 500C) out the hind end of a C-130, crew to jump with it, join up with the aircraft, dump the packaging, install the blades, then fire that puppy up and do some unspecified task.

Having been around a parachute drop zone as a pilot hauling the injured and seeing the results of a typical equipment drop, I thanked the man for his beer and toddled off home.

If an airborne drop can destroy an armored vehicle....lord only knows what the helicopter would look like.