PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 31st Dec 2006, 18:17
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bomarc
after reading everything about this sad accident I call upon the NTSB to properly admonish the FAA and demand changes to enhance safety.
The FAA certified the aircraft and its manual(POH)
The FAA certified the airline operating the plane
The FAA certified the airline's training program
The FAA certified the pilot. And along the pilot's career had the opportunity to test the pilot's knowledge of rudder inputs and their effects many times...written and oral exams for the private, commercial, instrument rating, multi engine rating , airline transport pilot certificate and perhaps others including type rating.
Your comments about what the FAA certified are mostly correct (they didn’t “certify” the training program, they only “approved” it, and the Airplane Flight Manual was also “approved” – not the Pilot’s Operating Handbook) but I’m not being critical. My questions, however, do have critical components.

For what is it you think the NTSB should admonish the FAA?

Why is it you believe that the NTSB has not admonished the FAA?

IF the aircraft met the certification requirements, on what basis would you have had the FAA deny the issuance of the airworthiness certificate?

IF the airline said they would operate the airplane the way in which it was certificated, on what basis would you have had the FAA deny American the authorization to operate that aircraft?

IF the airline structured a training program that met all the regulatory requirements AND incorporated all of the required tasks AND those tasks that may have been particular to that specific aircraft, on what basis would you have had the FAA deny the approval of the training program?

What specific task or airborne maneuver would you have the FAA add to its list of tasks/maneuvers that would, in your opinion, insure that the pilot would not misapply any of the training or aircraft certification limits?

Where and how frequently should the FAA add the task(s)/maneuver(s) you suggest to their testing requirements?