PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 24th Dec 2006, 17:25
mutley320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climb profile/noise abatement?

Just had a look at the flight path animation link posted by earlier poster.It,s a while since i've seen it but could someone explain the climb profile used?
IE: nose over/accelerate at 1000 ft. Flaps up.
I'm sure it's American airlines SOP,i've just never seen a profile like it.
Climb power 1500ft agl, accelerate 3000 agl. is all i can recall on many types in 22years.
Everyday is a schoolday though.
While i'm at it, the use of the word "kick" in relation to rudder use is a pet hate of mine. "push, rub, squeez" are closer to the required action(bar some fancy aerobatics in an aerobatic aircraft)
Even on the flight control check i try to encourage people to gently and smoothly move the rudder to the left, centre,pause for a fraction and then to the right. Not just for mechanical sympathy but bar sim checks it's the only chance you get to train your muscle memory in your legs as to the forces in the rudder.I know it's a ground check and the rudder is different in the air at different speeds, but it's something.

Without going too deep into the accident, it would appear that the rudder was used in an inappropriate way, that is full one way and then full the other. For a large transport category aircraft it looked like too much to me.
Like all major accidents in aviation we as a group learn something from it.
I think "use of rudder" and its limitations is now given more attention in training.

Finally, at this time of year, spare a thought for the families of the crew and passengers.