PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 22nd Dec 2006, 20:48
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dear grumpyoldgeek:

I see you are from northern california. I used to teach out of PAO...maybe you fly there?

AS to the rudder question. I think reading "Stick and Rudder" is excellent and it will keep you quite well and safe. 3 readings isn't enough, read it till you can quote it.

You will recall that Wolfgang talks about why there is a rudder...things like adverse aileron yaw, crosswinds and the like. Of course a multi engine airplane with engines on opposite sides of the fuselage one needs a rudder to help control the plane in an engine out scenario.

As I mentioned , use of rudder within the limitations of the aircraft should be just fine. as you probably know, the rudder is used by the yaw damper system to keep things like dutch roll under control on swept wing planes.

I think using the rudder is fine provided one knows the plane, AND PROVIDED THE BUILDER OF THE PLANE WARNS THE PILOTS PRIOR TO FLIGHT OF ANY PROBLEMS LIKE THE AIRBUS 300/310.

One time, in a small plane I was flying ( piper turbo arrow 3) the ailerons failed in flight and landing was accomplished using rudder and stabilator (piper uses stabilator instead of elevator).

If a plane has a rudder,know what to do with it and use it. If you can design one without a rudder, all the better. As you know, Wolfgang speaks well of the ercoupe aircraft.