PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 7th Dec 2006, 08:05
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

npasque,

what makes you believe that a 200-hrs "real aircraft"-chap(esse) is going to cope any better whith loss of all elec?

I think there are actually 3 discussions in this thread:

1) SAAs (et als) plans to get pilots on the F/D fast. I don't think anybody in here have any doubts as to their motives...

2) Experience - I also doubt that anybody here can have a major disagreement over the value of that

3) How much experience is enough? Is 200 hrs real aircraft enough? Is an MPL enough? And will we be able to tell the difference between the two if we were to find ourselves on the F/D with one?

I think this 3rd discussion is where the real rub lies. If we are happy to sign in with a 200-hr pilot, should we be concerned about signing in with an MPL?

We know the qualities (and shortcomings) of the 200-hr crowd. Mostly a very intelligent, fast-learning and hard-working crowd. I doubt the MPL guys/gals will be any different (given the correct screening & training). I also know what they lack in experience - and doubt that the MPLs are going to be any different in that respect as well. If only the MPL was type-specific (and not generic), at least the MPLs would start one up.

The MPL holds both great promise and a great many pitfalls. I hope that the guys now starting the MPL-courses all over the world will prove the doubters wrong.