PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2006, 05:15
XH536

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Varied Opinions

Originally Posted by PPRuNe Towers
The thread will not be deleted. If someone wants to delete their own posts in a hissy fit they can. They ain't taking this thread out with it though.

Crashes get discussed on PPRuNe. Reading any thread or contributing to it is not compulsary. That's the way we do it here. That's how we have run the place for 10 years. That's how it stays.

Don't like it? Avoid the thread or go elsewhere.

Rob

Sorry for the late post have just returned from holiday, I was watching the posts on the Glenview inicident and had no wish to have the thread deleted. Now I'm back and Rob has confirmed non deletion I will give my opinion on releasing information, and as Rob said either read it or skip it, it's your choice.

Thanks Pontius Navigator for your comments and thoughts,

my father was killed in Xh536 when I was 7 and to wait 30 years for information was difficult in the extreme. (Now this only applies to me as I will not assume on anyones behalf) I needed this information a lot sooner than it was available, the rumour mill was rife with theories on the reasons for the accident which subsequently clouded our families thoughts for many years of cover ups, failed parts,TFR testing, poor workmanship etc etc etc.

I had to sit back and wait till I was 37 to get a very simple answer - pilot error - poor decison making - whatever you wish to call it, the pilot made an error - was that so hard to say? That 30 year wait was painful, the mental anguish as child thinking your father the Navigator got it wrong and smacked a mountain and killed 4 other men was not a pleasant experience and one I would not wish on anyone.
However as we grow older and wiser!! (ha ha) in my late 20's I found it easier to blame the RAF for their obvious cover ups etc I just got angrier. It was easier to make pilgramages to the crashsite and the gravesite and vow to bring someone to justice- naaive but true - I admit.

It's taken me a long time to come to terms with the loss of my dad and the reason for it.

When it came time to obtain copies of the accident reports it was a real let down - no state secrets or dodgy flight engineers, no wings falling off, engine flame outs, no secret TFR trial testing - just poor old pilot error.

So on one hand I have metally apologised for all my wrong thinking to my dad, the Air force and all the crews associated with the aircraft and WingCo "Polly" for making them fly. On the flipside the Pilots family have my deepest sympathy it must have been agony for them to find out the reason, they will have gone through those 30 years like we did. Would it have been easier to let them and us know then? we could have taken some time to repair our lives without the dredging of info and the rumours for 30 years - tough call but for me there is only 1 answer.

My own difficulties have lain in not being able to piece together the kind of man my father was,I only have 3 distinct memories of him and each of those is vague due to my age (both then and now) and his always being in Tengah, Ghan, Butterworth etc etc. When aircrew are killed in these circumstances, the initial response from other crew and families is fantastic but after a while it's too close to home and they all gradually drift away, it's not deliberate or planned it's self preservation, when you could be next, it's better not to dwell on it. So it got more difficult to get information as we drifted from the forces and camp life into civilian life.

The reason I scour the airwaves for info is that it's so hard to get and you guys are the best source, some of you are actually from the same era!! man you must be gettin' on!!!

So a huge thank you for contributing to the threads, they are a form of history that not many people are aware of or are actually interested in, but to those who are, it's our bible......

I am sure there are many families that have no desire to keep being prodded for information and if they feel that way I am fairly sure they will not be reading these forums.

I love to read all your comments, and we all have to remember to repsect the opinions of others (it's also why you can email other members privatley if you have something to say and have no wish to "air" it)

Stay upright

John