PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at PIK
Thread: Incident at PIK
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2001, 01:33
SBA

Engineer. Happy to reply to your questions on the Electra, but as I am new to this, I can't quite get a grip on whether you are really interested, or just trying to catch me out. You have the benefit of the doubt, so here goes.

DeBoosting relates to the hydraulically assisted controls, which will gust lock should both hydraulic systems fail, or the electrical systems driving the hydraulics fail. In this event, three handles for elevator, rudder and aileron will override the hydraulic boost packs and give a mechanical advantage to the manual controls, leaving the aircraft heavy but manageable. The handles are located on the forward front area of the centre console, to the left side.

The TD amp trims the fuel input to the engine, and therefore the TIT. It has two positions, Locked and Controlled. We always operate in controlled, which in theory will prevent any turbine overtemp. The locked position will hold the fuel trim set by the amp, even with power lever movements, and has little or no useful purpose within the confines of our operation.

Regarding the props, they are aeroproducts. To the best of my knowledge, the only european example with Hamilton Standard props is G-FIZU, which is owned by Atlantic, but currently on long term dry lease to Channex. The aeroproducts prop has square tips, whereas the Hamilton Standard has round tips.

The Captain on G-LOFD is a current F/E TRE on the DC6. This is going to attract another torrent of anti Atlantic abuse about operation of multiple types, but we are happy with it, and I suspect the rest of you are just jealous.

Finally, will G-LOFD fly again. The odds look good at the moment, but she is obviously still to undergo some fairly stringent inspections.

Hope that answers all the questions. Thanks for the response.