PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2006, 16:04
xxx5572

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety issue!!

Around a moth ago I was surprised to see some workers fitting some new fire doors into a few gates in sat1, at first I though how good it would be to have some new doors as the old ones were a bit worn out and that BAA were doing a good job in trying to bring the place back up to scratch after all the new carpet and paint that have been done but I am beginning to think I am wrong!!
Firstly unless I’m mistaken I thought that the fire doors were able to stay open for a while or until a fire alarm would go off were they would automatically close, surely being their purpose. However it seems as if BAA has overlooked something!! These doors now have just the hinges and have no device to keep them open so I find myself and see others searching the area for items to hold the doors. Typically this would be a chock!! A tenser barrier!! Or even a PIG!! So long as it hold the door open!!
Maybe I wouldn’t mind if they weren’t used so much but at the airport they are used for both arriving and departing pax and makes things slightly more difficult if people are constantly worrying how to keep them open so the pax know were to go. Also I dread to think what the passengers must think when they arrive at Stansted to find doors being propped open, rotting wood in entrance ways and so much more.

I know some people may not care but I’m afraid I do because someone has to. These problems shouldn’t even have to come this far and I even know that there is a dedicated fire and safety team working for BAA and should be sorting these problems out without us having to keep on their backs. We fall into a bit of a trap as many of us are working for a handling agent and is BAA are the operators so communication is difficult at the best of time but also seems to fall on deaf ears. I’d like to see what the health and safety executive would have to say about all this because especially with the airport being a place dealing with a high volume of the general public, safety should be on the list of priorities but just seems to be overlooked.
Any suggestions on what to do and does anyone agree??!! Sorry to go on but needed to get it off my chest