PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nurse fury at Ryanair as woman dies on flight from Italy
Old 28th Sep 2006, 10:06
alibaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Defib argument is something that we do agree on Seat1a. I have no problem with that.

I can see the arguments on both sides of the coin. With proper training in its use there should be no issues with it being aboard. The problem is where a wrong diagnosis by a CC on a PAX that might have some sort of disorder with their heart or even something else, and then we bring a Defib out and shock the PAX could be just as if not more fatal than the problem itself.....

I do think it is for the authorities and airlines to look into with proper regulations on its use. To try and blame RYR though for not carrying this item is not really acceptable when a multitude of other airlines throughout Europe will not have this item aboard. They are following the regulations the same as any other operator.

The piece of equipment that you called a "salad airway" is slightly different I think? This is not really basic equipment but is getting into the realms of ER I am no DR though and I freely admit that. As stated above this is not something that you want CC to be doing to a PAX. If it can be proved that it saves more lives, then it should be considered. Are there any statistics that show the amount of people saved using this equipment compared to not using this piece of equipment? If there is, then medical professionals out there should be lobbying the regulators for it's installation aboard a/c as maybe a DR or medically qualified professional only type instrument.

RYR like most operators have probably considered these items but have done a risk assessment and decided it was not feasible as it opens themselves up to all kind's of possible litigation. This is the world we live in unfortunately. It was probably decided that the benefits would not outweigh the risks. If these items where used by properly trained medical professionals then I would see no problem with there use or storage aboard.

I don't think that most people at the start of the thread were talking about a "salad airway" or a Defib though. We are adding item's after the fact. They were talking about basic equipment such as a barrier and Latex Gloves. These are aboard.