PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nurse fury at Ryanair as woman dies on flight from Italy
Old 28th Sep 2006, 01:34
alibaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone enlighten me and others to what BA carry in terms of the emergency medical equipment on short haul dedicated a/c only, such as a 73 or A32? The point about Defib's is a valid one and I think might be something for the JAA and or IAA to sit up and take notice of, for all the operators throughout Europe.

Seat1a; you must not be reading the thread properly the equipment is aboard and no skimping as you put it is taking place.

"If you want doctors on board to volunteer their services then the least they can expect is the basic equipment to do their job."

The type of equipment you are referring to is already there. As stated by many posters.

If someone were in such a state as to need a Defib onboard a short haul a/c mid-flight and you are flying anywhere in Europe you would be considering diverting to an enroute alternate/ suitable aerodrome. I don't think the accountant would come anywhere near that type of problem or should even be in your thoughts with the options you would have available. We are putting safety 1st here are we not? Africa is a different thing altogether granted. Continental Europe is not though.

A 74 / widebody or another a/c in that type of size has a lot more factors to consider when diverting unlike a 73 or A32 such as overweight landings and fuel dumping etc. Hence the different type of safety equipment carried!

The question about what a passenger’s life is worth. Well I think safety and the safety of its passengers is the first and most important item with ANY RESPONSIBLE OPERATOR. Referring to whether putting Defib's on an a/c is the same as caviar or pretzels is shocking! If you think LOCO's look at safety in that way, then you show your naivety and lack of industry wide appreciation for safety management. Safety is NOT the remit of full service carriers only. The quicker people understand that the better. Do you think EZY or Air Berlin and the rest of the low cost market work in such a manor?

Woodpecker can you give examples of how the Cabin Crew on RYR lacked professionalism? If so, could you state your reasoning behind your statement to this affect?

Training and re-training is as people would agree an important part of being in a profession. LOCO crew's whether some people in the aviation industry like it or not are well trained professionals. We should all want to better our knowledge and skills. To doubt that the bare minimum of training is given to LOCO crew's is again naive. Where is the evidence of this against LOCO's and RYR in particular? Could training be improved in this sector of aviation? Well I am not an expert but I would like to bet that the answer is yes. The same as any other part of aviation. The military don't spend so much time doing this activity for the sake of it. It works. Then we wouldn't be flying PAX around though as we would ALL be in the sim or on courses all the time. There is a compromise to be had. The argument is and should be the amount of compromise in this. Only the regulators know the answer to that question.

Nobody is a fan of MOL. That man though is not the be all of RYR or the other LOCO's.

Sorry for such a long post but some of the arguments on here need to be rebuffed.