PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2006, 08:08
chc&proud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good information for outsiders

I've been commuting between Norway and Cape Town for 1,5 years now, due to family commitments down south. Compared to Nigeria, despite the social and political challenges in South Africa, Cape Town seems like the Garden of Eden in comparison to Port Harcourt, Lagos etc.

To all of you who share your experiences and knowledge from Nigeria, thanks a lot. Your postings are enlightening and informative. At times they give reason for great consern for the safety and well being of colleagues working in the region.

It is easy to conclude that I will not appy for a position in Nigeria any time soon.

I just wish there were ways to assist our colleagues with regards to the issues of operational standard, security and creature comfort. Alas, it might come in the category of spitting in one hand, wishing in the other.....

As several of you have indicated, you voted with your feet. This would probably be the most effective way to motivate management to initiate a process leading to constructive changes.

The risk scenario is obvious: You may be replaced by Nigerian pilots or other expats.

Nothing wrong with Nigerians flying in Nigeria, quite the contrary. However, you might end up without the job you actually did enjoy just a bit, or worse, you might end up on the street without a job.