PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2006, 09:44
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't tell if you don't!

Who is this 'Doc Cameron' then? Another mystery! Some hawg-riding fiend with a loud shirt and an even louder mini- music system, perhaps? My personal rotary-wing Flight Instructor!

Actually, I was the Lagos HSE Co-ordinator for a while there, so that you would have thought my notions about safety would have had some weight, along with my down-range ballistics expertise. But noooo! Such is life; it seems to be about making money first and letting the rest go hang until circumstances dictate otherwise.

We all, plebs and Management alike, get locked into a conspiracy of silence in places such as Nigeria; plebs worry about losing their jobs and Management worry about losing their contracts if they ask for too much from the contractees.

Sometimes though it can seem to be a bit too much, such as when you have a bus-load of pilots, engineers, a greeny and, of course, their Nigerian driver narrowly escape death and have that dismissed as a 'one-off' rather than taken as a wake-up call. All we got was a nice chat with a Shell doctor and some little white pills to help us sleep.

This is not a Bristow or CHC problem but a human one. We want to focus on the up-side of situations, not the down-side. Profits and the 'relative' safety of Nigeria is the way to go, not 'We need to invest more in security because Nigeria is dangerous and becoming more dangerous.' Who wants to hear that, even if arguably it is so? Hence the lack, so far as I know, of any serious safety review by such as Control Risks or Kroll, the purchase of vehicles from Eisenhardt and Hess or lots more doable but possibly unnecessary things besides.

This is the sticking point with spending money on safety; you cannot prove the negative of having prevented an accident. Remember the cartoon with the wife telling her husband that she would never nag him about carrying that elephant gun again, as they were stood there on Main Street with a dead elephant?

The bad guys are not going away; they live there! And they are not stupid; just think about how they hi-jacked that helo in Port Harcourt after Warri security was increased. Good thinking! The story one abductee told about how the thugs passed their time 'wrestling, smoking ganja and cleaning their weapons' gave me a chill. How often have you seen the Nigerian forces of law and order toting clean weapons?

Come to that, I think it's pretty certain that the bad guys are interested to read our thoughts here but simply observing the comings and goings from easily-identified compounds at fixed times over set routes (all big no-nos from a safety point of view but perhaps unavoidable) and pumping the various amateur whores who are allowed easy access thereto, is there very much these villains don't know about how to attack next?