PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - time to 1st solo rotary
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2006, 23:10
Two's in
Below the Glidepath - not correcting

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts
Most military pilots have been through a selection process and a fixed wing phase before rotary (hence soloing on rotary sooner) and as whirlygig said;

I’m not sure it gives a fair indication to anyone to quote solo hours in a military training environment. I’m also not sure it’s fair to say that anyone who doesn’t go solo in 100 hours should give up.
A my military rotary instructor used to say to me "I could teach your Granny to fly if I had a year, but I don't; I have 10 hours to get you solo, so buck your ideas up!" Just illustrating the point that if you don't make the required progress, you are chopped. Simply a function of time and hence money, and there are no shortage of candidates in the military. Civilian pilots are not against the clock as such, but the presssure must be equally as intense when slower learning = more money on their part. It requires a huge amount of self determination to get there, whatever the route, so all those 100 hour solos deserve nothing but respect for perseverance and stamina alone.