PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - time to 1st solo rotary
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2006, 17:58
flyer43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine even that being possible, but maybe, just. But how on earth do you do it in less time?
Whirly,
As I mentioned in my first posting on this thread, it depends on many things. I used to teach on the Bell 47 G2 then G4 and all our students were "live in" permanent for up to 10 months during which time they did alternate days ground school and flying. Because of this continuity, we didn't have to remind them of what we did last time, as might often happen when a student is only having one lesson every weekend, or even less frequently.

I also agree with Whirls, at least for the most part, re it doesn't matter how long you take to go solo.

Any newbies, or wannabies out there reading this thread should not be disheartened by talk of going solo in 30 minutes or 30 hours or whatever. There are some students I have known that I would never want to see going solo, no matter how many hours of training they were given. There comes a point in every instructors ability to put up with suicidal maniacs who don't show any signs of improvement no matter how many hours or changes of instructor they have.

Of course, there are also those schools that will keep taking your money and making all the right noises to keep you soldiering on. Easy for me to say, but difficult for a student to know when he/she is being taken for a ride......