PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcoholism
Thread: Alcoholism
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2006, 18:19
rhovsquared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After that short and interrupted introduction, I will say that alcoholism is a disease, but what is alcoholism?

There are two type of alcohol consumption:
1. Use-most folks do this
2. Abuse Most folks have done this
As can be seen from the above that, neither criteria is actually alcoholism, but alcoholism of course involves both.

To be more concrete let's go over two other concepts under the general rubric of dependence:
1. Psychologic manifested by cravings, and behavior with the ultimate goal of securing the substance or entity to which one is addicted
2. Physiologic-determined by symptoms of withdrawal caused by a BIOCHEMICAL dependence:

Now finally alcoholism

This disease is manifested as a syndrome that is characterized by
1. Physiologic- dependence there is evidence of withdrawal, that can at times for some in the advanced stage be dangerous
2. Tolerance- the effects of alcohol actually diminish
3. Evidence of alcohol associated disease. Liver disease, cerebellar degeneration
4. Continued drinking despite a medical, legal, occupational, financial or social consequences
6 Depression
7. 'Black outs'
These are the symptoms.

The signs include:
Alcohol always on breath, flushed face,work absences, sneaking drinks, nerve pain and damage, cigarrette burns, skin changes, accidents and frequent injurys:
and physiological changes include liver enzyme elevation and increase in the volume of red blood cells and many others.

If these criteria are sufficient to impair life functions then one has the disease alcoholism.

Next time I'll talk more about withdrawal and treatment, as well as alcohol use being a sign and symptom of other Illnessneses because of the strong phychological and physical components inherent to this disease.

...Yes, Gingernut, mental illnesses are diseases...but we'll talk about in another thread, for now I'll talk about mental illness in the context of alcoholism/use and abuse, but some practical definitions must be given on order to make the topic clear and to not sound judgemental.

btw, I'll start the EKG/heart thread for pilots some time early next month , been real busy

TurboCompressors OFF
rhov

Last edited by rhovsquared; 1st Sep 2006 at 20:21. Reason: grammar/clarity