PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2006, 13:08
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
As an observation about IOM + BA, don't forget that they did not want the IOM and all of MANX - they wanted the four pairs of landing slots per day at EGLL. Nothing else was wanted and all of the subsequent bad service is just to run down the MANX routes until they can justify off loading them without it being too obvious as to why they bought the old airline.

Now, picking up a point that was discussed in this thread in April (yes, I am on the ball): MarkD
... why should overseas pax pay more than uk pax? The last time I checked, the BA fare YYZ-ORK-YYZ was always substantially higher than ORK-YYZ-ORK.
Yes and the LHR~JNB~LHR is more expensive than JNB~LHR~JNB. The short fact is that the carrier will charge whatever the market will bear. As I have understood this on a route that I and my family travel quite often ... the airlines know that the exchange rate for South Africans to European currencies are very high and, when they get over here, their costs will be high.

They also know that for the Europeans, when they get to South Africa, their costs will be low. So - they balance the flight costs accordingly and the Europeans are subsidising the South Africans but if this were not done, then the folks down South could not afford the seats and so the flights would not be viable. Whether this also applies to Canada, I do not know!

Between the UK and South Africa, all three main carriers do this, BA, SA, VS and I have yet to hear my theory challenged and proved wrong. I sit to be corrected.