PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2006, 18:03
STANDTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What follows is an email I sent to BA customer services and never got a reply. Having flown EZY and EuroManx this week, I was amazed at their service compared to BA. Literally streets ahead.

this concerns an appalling lack of customer service on the flight noted. I arrived at 1830 at MAN for my 1940 flight. At 1845 I noticed that they had just started to board the 1710 flight. Realising there was a delay and knowing there was only one aircraft on that route I went to the enquiry desk. I had no luggage. I asked that, as there was a clear likelihood that there was going to be a considerable delay, whether I could be placed on that flight. I was told because I had a non flexible ticket, this couldn't be done. I asked about capacity, and was told there was capacity on the delayed 1710, but there was nothing that could be done. Clearly there was something that could be done, but it was chosen not to.

Had I turned up, and everything was on time, and there was no likelihood of my own flight being delayed, then I would have found it perfectly reasonable that my request was declined. However, when there is a forseeable delay, and there is an opportunity to transit a passenger early, then I consider there is a duty to take that action. This was a weather delay, so it wan't the companies fault, and not the pax' fault either. Some middle ground has to be arrived at.

The attitude of the staff on duty on the help desk was appalling. The BMI/AA staff on the next desk were aghast,watching the 'customer service performance of your staff. To tell a customer 'we're in the business of making money. Go and fly with Manx Airlines (sic) and see what happens to them' is beyond belief. This was a gentleman around 60 years old, wearing a jacket. His younger male colleague told me ' we've been on a training course, and people want consistency' Well, no they don't - when there is a way of helping, they want to get home.

Due to the Dash 8 we were meant to be going on going tech, we eventually departed at 2200. this was down to the hard work and 'can-do attitude of the engineers and aircrew. They were appalled at what was related to them and clearly embarrassed.

A number of years ago, Mercedes Benz started to do 'just enough' to put cars on the road. If you read the reliability problems, and destruction of customer loyalty, you will realise why they have started engineering cars properly again. BA can only dine out on its badge for so long.

I did not want any special treatment, and if I had gone to the desk to be told that they had already done this for a number of others, on a first come first served basis, just to get them home then I would have been happy.

The Isle of Man is a bit different, in that the passengers can't get a train or hire a car to get home.

Finally, I tried to ring 0870 850 9 850 twice. I gave up after six and five minutes respectively. This is atrocious.

I have effectively lost a day's work through this