PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2006, 11:55
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All together now:

'Told you so!'

There's a well-known effect, when anti-terror, anti-crime, call them what you will, measures lag behind the threat level. The reaction is to the previous threat level but meanwhile the bad guys aren't stupid (just bad, misguided, underprivileged, oppressed...) and ramp up the threat level.

Remember how they put all those measure into effect around Warri to prevent helicopters being hijacked? The next thing was that helo being taken near Port Harcourt and then flown to a place near Warri. D'oh!

In the German papers it reads that Bilfinger and Berger are pulling out of operations in the Delta. That will be an encouraging reaction, for the bad guys. Grab just one German and it's panic stations. You could grab all the Filipinos you like; there are plenty more where they came from. Ditto Indians. So there are two categories of people you might as well leave alone since there's no money in it. Anyone want to bet the next thing will be nationality checks from the abductors?

There's lots more that I can see in my crystal ball that just isn't good to talk about. It's like that joke about the guy laid in the guillotine who tells the operators how to fix the jam.

I wonder who will be the first to bite the bullet and hire some serious security contractor? It would be such a crazy idea for all the operators and contractees to get together and do something where they share the cost of that. That might end up costing about $10 per ex-pat, I suppose. You could buy two Toyota Land Cruisers for that sort of money. All you would-be union organisers, how about working on that one?

Meanwhile I am sat here gribbling away at getting a licence/job. The gruesome realities reported here sure help keep me from feeling sorry for myself for being shut out of the fun, at least for now.