PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh No! Its St Maarten time again
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2006, 07:34
GK430

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no ILS on Rwy 09 (nor 27).
I will try and post another pic later today, (see some on the sticky thread) but west of the airfield boundary fence there is a small twin track road, a thin low concrete buffer to keep the sand off the road and then the beach. The sand on the extended rwy c/l is lower than the remaining level of the beach left & right of centre - it gets blown away and even behind 75 deps the sea ripples for a good 100+ metres.

There is no traffic control on the road - fortunately, apart from the odd school bus, it is lighlt trafficked by cars/4 x 4's.

The "heavies" backtrack full length and the power starts being applied on the turn - and despite the brainless hanging on to the fence.....it is wise to take serious cover away from the jetblast.
Warning signs abound!

Watch Lear Jet arrivals in particular - very flat. As for DHC6tropics - I got one shot where I could just about touch the gear - but hey, you floated.....

There are so many options for photographic locations. There are two timeshare blocks seen in the background of most SXM pics and the Sonesta Hotel resort further back. You can look down on the runway from several vantage points.

Looking forward to my next trip