PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 15:14
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
Decks - I guess you must be on a day off and just come back from the pub
I think you might still see a Mk 3 or 3A Sea King refuel in Ireland and head off to points West since we do have a better RoA. We'll wave next time we're passing.

3D cam - what would you prefer as a SAR cab then - I think 2 types makes sense since not every flight needs long range/big lift capability. Yes the RN had the Sea King in service for a good while before we took it on (and they forgot to tell us about the stn 290 cracks as well). As I understand it the 139 is not an unproven aircraft, it is just that some people don't think it is suitable for SAR - if this is proven to be the case then CHC will have to address any shortfall in capability or, I suspect, face contract penalties.
As for the 92 - every helicopter has to start somewhere, I hope Nick's faith in it is justified.

Crash on deck - since the MoD has stated that there will continue to be military SAR pilots, then the likely outcome is military flights with civilian aircraft (probably flown to military rules like at Shawbury) and civilian engineering. How the MoD finance this I don't know but after the fiasco of introducing the 412 into Cyprus as a SAR aircraft, they will probably be much more careful about the terms of the contract and the aircraft spec. I don't think anyone would condone a reduction in capability, especially NVG since it is a core military pilot skill. So where does that leave harmonisation? In about the same place as it has stayed since it was first mooted - an aspiration that can't be achieved when you have 3 different service providers (RAF,RN and MCA) with different command chains, funding, SOPs and, at the moment, different aircraft and capabilities.
As to the future, I'd like to stay military and stay SAR but like everyone else I will have to wait and see.