PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2006, 09:49
Crabette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

SARowl
Don't you think taking into account the risk assessment side of a sortie is part of a Captain's responsibilities? If some other unit - lifeboat etc - can do the tasking more safely and efficiently then they should be tasked. Are you implying that once a SAR helicopter is tasked it should complete that task regardless of safety implications? If you lose an engine in your Seaking at 80%+ torque, although you brief a flyaway there's only one direction you'll be going - gravity effects us all.
You are missing the point....get an aircraft that has performance and the constant S61 'risk assessment' of NOT enough power in hand to safely winch/land etc, is removed from the equation. Otherwise you will risk assess yourselves back into bed and leave the others to do all the jobs. Anything more than 67.5% Tq in the 61/Sea King and you can ‘risk assess’ til the cows come home, it won’t get the job done. Have the confidence in your aircraft to accept the fact that it is extremely unlikely to let you down at the vinegar stroke. Hey, if it does then that’s why you get paid big civilian wages for doing the job, it’s a risk you know is always present in life.

The reason for the helicopter is quick response to aid a casualty, not fly about or land on somewhere and wait for others to get the casualty ready for you because performance is too risky! Granted at times even the best performing machine may meet it's match and conditions require another means of rescue, but the more capable the aircraft the less frequent those scenarios become.

Perhaps you have been doing this job too long now and have lost sight of the role you are attempting to re-invent in the Tardis that is a 61. We all want to collect our pensions but it doesn’t mean don’t embrace life and the job at hand, the challenges and new ideas that change with the times. Think back to your old SAR diver, gung ho Whirlwind days…get some drive back into yourself man. (please don’t tell me you are an old fart pilot otherwise I’ll cry having got you pegged as a old, use to be bold ex-RN crewie)

From what we hear most of you can’t wait to get into CHC and embrace a new aircraft, your moth eaten security blanket that was Bristow's and the 61 is History.

If you and a couple of other old timers don’t want to leave, then I know several young keen SAR capable persons who are after and applying to replace you. I’m sure your SAR contracts manager (if he is still in a job) can find some ad-hoc work for the 61 abroad with the need for you. Good Luck.